Porter – “Intertextuality and the Discourse Community”
Summary
In his article, “Intertextuality and the Discourse
Community,” Porter attempts to show the reader that plagiarism as defined in
popular culture isn’t in fact what happens. He argues for intertextuality,
which states that “all writing and speech – indeed, all signs – arise from a
single network.” (88)
Synthesis
This is a lot like Klein’s work, because not only is he
supporting his idea that is a much broader context than many would think to
apply to writing, it is most obviously written towards a more scholarly
community, as shown by the spinning of my head after reading it. The vocabulary
and rhetoric he uses is definitely not meant for anyone without a Phd.
Pre-reading
I get a lot of help from writing, by asking friends for
advice, having others proofread, even by relying on spell check frequently. I
have even participated in my fair share of collaborative writings, voluntary
and otherwise. Anything I do in life can also have an influence on my ideas
that I’m working on, even if they have no correlation.
QD
4. I’ve always evaluated writing on whether or not I like
it, and whether it fits the criteria I set out to accomplish. Most of the ways
my writing has been evaluated before fits with my own idea, although I may be
less knowledgeable about all of the grammar rules that my judges.
5. His work reflects on his principles, because he keeps
bringing other people’s ideas into his article not only to show his point, but
to make it as well. He is obviously not the first to think about this, because there
are already a large number of people on both sides of the fence over the issue.
A&E
1. There are many different texts in it, shown in all of
the different ways of displaying comfort and there are homages back to the
tried and true, as they are trying to make money off of it. The cultural
intertext is the constant use of not only women, but of different racial mixes
to try and show that all types of people will look good as a result of said
product, making it more universally accepted.
MM
No, he hasn’t changed my mind as all, because I know in my
writings I’ve relied heavily on the assistance of others; his declaration of it
merely confirmed my suspicions. I don’t think I’ll change the way I right at
all, because I think that by using outside sources I also push myself to be
more creative so I don’t feel as though I’m not contributing to my own writing.
Thoughts
I
did not enjoy this text at all, it was long and hard, and the concept not
overly surprising or interesting. That it was obviously written for people over
my level of comprehension didn’t help at all, and makes the concept that much
harder to grasp.
So sorry you didn't enjoy this one, Jack, though I know the introduction is really dense. I hope you got past that though. I think once Porter starts talking about specific examples (like Jefferson and the Declaration of I) this piece gets really really fascinating. Don't get discouraged if you have trouble with the readings. I think we can gain a lot from struggling with them. You have to learn how to read these texts just like we learn how to read other texts. Keeping a dictionary handy nearby isn't a bad idea either.
ReplyDeleteYou've missed one of the assigned questions here, #2 in A&E. I also think the summary and synthesis could be a little more involved. The synthesis for example might engage directly with ELbow's conception of Voice, rather than a superficial comparison to Kleine. This is decent work, but I want you to go a little further with responses in the future.