Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reading Response 6


Berkenkotter – “Decisions and Revisions: The Planning Strategies of a Published Writer”
Murray – “Response of a Laboratory Rat – or, Being Protocoled”
Summary
In their articles, “Decisions and Revisions: The Planning Strategies of a Published Writer”
and “Response of a Laboratory Rat – or, Being Protocoled,” Berkenkotter and Murray attempt to show, through their experiment, the processes that go through the mind of a professional writer to try and analyze the “proper” method of writing and revising piece. Berkenkotter disliked the (then) current methods of analysis which consisted of putting writers in a laboratory setting, with parameters. She felt, and proved, that this inhibited the thought processes of the writer, and observed the writer in its natural environment.
Synthesis
This is similar to the other texts, such as Klein, where as it is a discussion about the methods and results of their research, and an application of the self-same results to the writing of students in schooling now.
Pre-reading
I don’t have any particular writing habits, although I concentrate better most of the time if I have music playing, although this doesn’t work all the time.
QD
1. Murray’s writing process is very eccentric, as he has a system that works for him and him alone, as far as I can tell. He does a lot of notes on what he wants to write, but he dictates it rather than actually types it, so he also listens to it, and discerns whether it has the correct feel. I sit down and think about the concept as I go through life, refine random bits and pieces as I think, and when I sit down to write, I connect all the dots.
3. Berkenkotter discovered that for Murray, planning and revision are basically the same in practice. When he went back to do revision, he instead did a combination of both, which she called reconceiving.
A&E
1. I spend a lot of time connecting ideas with dialogue when I am writing a story. I have written a lot of non-story type essays, so I have a general idea of what formulas work and what don’t. I do a mental outline of what I need to write, and I formulate it in the most logical order, and start writing. When I go through and reread, I sometimes move ideas to try and make sure my point is being made. I don’t spend as much time on revising as I should, rather I’m used to just plowing through and hoping it’s right.
MM
I feel that I have a better understanding of how to revise and now I know that I need to spend more time on the information and on how everything is set up.
Thoughts
This article was weird, because it took me a while to realize that it was more geared for other academics, and when I took that into account, the point made a lot more sense. It didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t know, but it brought it all into light, and showed me I’m not the only one who goes back and forth on writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment