Bryson – “Good English and Bad”
Summary
In his article, “Good English and Bad,” Bryson attempts to
show how the “rules” for the English language are not only convoluted, but
straight up wrong or nonexistent. He argues that many of the “rules” have
become so confused that many different rules are there from confusion or no
reason at all. He doesn’t feel that to have a rule just for the sake of the
rule is a good enough reason to use sloppy or inelegant grammar.
Synthesis
This text is similar to many of our texts, picking a
construct to challenge and then proving its point. However, it is like many of
the shorter works by having a sort of commentary in the background, a little
bit of dry humor to keep the reader awake. The author uses examples that are
simple yet get the point across in the most effective way, similar to many of
the pieces that are directed to students, yet this article is approachable by
many different people of different mindsets.
Pre-reading
Good English is a very loose term to apply to anything with
so varied a basis. Good grammar is something to strive for, but not entirely
necessary. Sometimes context is more important than grammar, especially in
speech. I personally will use improper grammar to make a point or to be funny
(i.e. pronouncing words as they are spelled with phonics as well as combining
words to make a new word).
QD
1. Bryson is challenging the writing construct of grammar
rules, show by his many examples of where rules contradict each other. He points
out how flexible and democratic the English language, going into a brief
history of how academics throughout history have tried to revise the rules to
make them simpler, but they constantly make it worse. He gives purely
grammatical examples that show where the standing rules are deficient to help
prove his point.
A&E
2. Bryson means that whatever we want the English language
to do, it does. Throughout history, meanings, spellings, pronunciations, and “rules”
have changed at the whim of a popular scholar. Personally, I’ve seen commas
rules taught four different ways throughout my schooling career, none of which
my parents or siblings were taught. Teacher to teacher, scholar to scholar,
each rule has a varying level of importance, with some getting bent or broken
frequently by one, but being invulnerable by another.
MM
Some parts of speech are noun, verb, adverb, pronoun, ect.
I learned how they all relate in school, a long time ago. Most of it is
ingrained into my subconscious mind, so I do it instinctively, most of the
time. I do not think about it at all when I write, I think about translating my
thoughts to words, and they magically appear in a relatively correct
grammatical format, if I’m lucky. It may help me write better if I knew grammar
better, because I could fall back on it to try mixing up my sentence structure,
but not very much.
Thoughts
This
piece was much more interesting than many of the others we’ve read recently,
mainly because of the more down to earth vocabulary as well as descriptive and
understandable examples. They were relatable with my own experiences with the
language, indeed they were relatable to just about anyone. This made it much
more interesting to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment