Thursday, September 20, 2012

Project 1 Intro/Conversation


Intro
When you think of writing, there are two distinct genres that separate it down the middle. To many, they are as different as night and day, blue and red, hot and cold, sweet and sour, the list goes on. When it comes to writing, you can either write creatively or academically, poetically or rhetorically. This gap between fiction and nonfiction has long been thought to be unbridgeable. This construct; a construct being something that we accept as true due to extensive exposure within our culture or discipline, but was something agreed upon in the first place; has been discussed extensively by ( ) who mention (). I say that this gap is neither as long nor as dark as many people make it out to be. While there are distinct differences between them, by changing the situations, you can understand both. To show how this construct works, I will challenge a second construct that is prevalent in the literary world, on both sides of the issue. The concept of the stereotype has been around for a long time, in both fiction and nonfiction. This construct has two faces, as has been the common theme so far in this paragraph, in that it can be applied to both sides, but from different angles. For the creative side, there is the idea that to have good writing all you need are stereotypical characters to make a good story. For the rhetorical side, there is the concept that an essay must be straightforward and lengthy, as well as use complex vocabulary. The result of testing this construct on both sides will then by default test the original construct that we have set out to prove. Meta much? If so, get ready for the most convoluted set of logic to make sense that you’ve ever seen.

Synthesis
Literature and Composition: Separatism or Convergence? By John Trimbur is a work that supports bridging the gap between the creative and rhetorical. By showing his stated initial want for them to be separate and realization that they can work together. Also, Create Flesh and Blood Characters by William Kowalski illustrates my point of stereotypes for the fiction side. The article Challenging Stereotypes About Academic Writing: Complexity, elaboration, Explicitness by Douglas Biber and Bethany Gray shows the stereotypes found in nonfiction and academic writing and challenges them, thus proving the point I’m trying to make. I also want to look at Greene’s article on conversation, but don’t know how it will fit in if at all. The same goes for Porter’s article on Intertextuality and Elbow’s on Contradictions.



This is a bare bones outline of what I intend to do, but more analysis of the texts is required to know more about what I want to do with what source. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jack,

    Sorry I'm late in getting to your work. I remember reading this post so I'm not sure why I didn't leave a comment. Anyway, I'm glad we got a chance to have the discussion in my office the other day and I think that really helped you sort out what you're doing. This is presented fairly lucidly and I like how you immediate set up the construct of the rhetoric/poetic split and seek to challenge that. I don't think, however, that you need to bring use the construct language to describe the sterotype/stereotypical ways of thinking about language. You don't want to make it out to be more confusing than it actually is. So while I understand your warning to the reader to "get ready for the most convoluted logic" - I don't know that you really want to make that move if your goal is to help the reader understand your argument.

    I really liked the move you made in the first paragraph when you say how the split "has been discussed extensively by ( ) who mention (). " Leaving these slots open for scholars is a great way to go about synthesis/conversation. Of course, I want to see them filled in too. Did you get a chance to read any of the scholarshi[ referenced on the web site I sent you a link to? I think some of that stuff would really be great in here.

    Also, about stereotypes of argument, I think you need to look further than length and complex vocabulary, especially if you want to use Porter and Greene. Think about some of the other stereotypes about argument that we've been dealing with and talking about. That arguments are always about winners/losers, for instance, that they always deal with FACTS- either right or wrong, that they are always original, etc. So dig a little deeper here.

    This is a pretty good start. I hope it's coming along more by this point. Good work.

    ReplyDelete