Thursday, October 4, 2012

Reading Response 12


Baron – From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies
Summary
In his article, “From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies,” Baron attempts to show that the computer is just another addition in a long line of new writing technologies. He goes about this by showing how writing itself was a new technology in its day, and spends a lot of time describing how the pencil, something we take as granted, was originally something invented not even for writing, but evolved over time.
Synthesis
This piece has a lot of characteristics of the Malcolm X piece as well as Lamott and Diaz, because it has a much more personal feel. It relates it’s topic to themes that we as the audience would understand and relate to. It also has a little hint of Berger in it because it analyzes everything in a historical order, which not many of the other articles do.
Pre-reading
A list of the technologies I use for writing:
·         Computer
·         Pencil and Paper
·         Verbal Communication
·         Music
·         The Internet
·         Written Sources (such as novels or reference materials depending upon what I’m writing.
A&E
2. There are many writing technologies that could be improved, but I think what needs improved would be grammar check. Most word processors have it now, and it’s nowhere near as helpful as spell check. Most of the time its corrections don’t even make sense or are just blatantly wrong. Not only do I think this, but teachers will mark of when I listen to it, so it seems a pointless addition at the present moment, but it would be good if someone were to update it.
Thoughts
This article was much more engaging than I went into it thinking it would be. The author does a very good job capturing the reader’s attention with a meaningful topic as well as helpful sources that don’t bore the reader. The points that the author bring up to prove his point of view are different from the stock sources used by scholars, and I learned new historical facts on top of being convinced of his point. It was engaging and interesting. Very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment